Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Letter to Francesca from Vinca - II

To Francesca De Savona

My dearest cousin and friend, Francesca, I hope this letter finds you well and blessed with joy and prosperity. Events for me recently have been well and I would wish with all my heart to share the joy with you.

Though I did not at first look forward to moving to Siena from the small town that had been my home for so long, I find this new place brightening my outlook in ways I did not even imagine. The beauty and culture of this place has opened my eyes and my soul to things that I never dreamed of. I truly wish you were here to share in this with me.

Since coming to this place Papá’s life has been very busy between his painting and the social events he attends to meet the companions of his patron. It was just a few days past that I was graced to attend one of these with him and Agneta. One of the great merchants held a ball for his daughters and all young women were invited to attend though I believe it was truly to show them all for marriage prospects to others of power and prestige in the city. I do believe Agneta had such designs for me though it did not come to fruition from this event that I am aware of.

Oh but such thoughts darken my mood and I shall cease to think them! I must tell you about this glorious event! The room was golden with lamps shining off the polished wood of floor and trim, the decorations sparkled. Why most of our casa could fit in this one sala, it was so grand! Plates of delicacies from far away lands were served and the wine was as fine as any I could ever imagine.

I do admit I felt but a fading flower among the other glorious ladies in their silks and finery for all I had to wear to such a fine event was my dress of red and gold. Do you remember it, that I wore when last we saw each other? Agneta was so ashamed of it afterwards she has commissioned a new one to be made that I do not embarrass her again.

The most wonderful part was the dancing. I have always been lacking in that particular skill, a fact of which Agneta was also livid afterwards, but for a good deal of the evening a gentleman did partner with me and his smile and voice were both so kind I neither felt graceless nor lacking in his company! It was also a joy to spend time in the company of a handsome and polite gentleman. He was nearly as kind as my Simon was before God took him to his breast.

In the course of the evening I learned that he I danced with came from the north lands of Germania though it pains me to realize I cannot recall his name, but my eye will never forget his pleasing smile. His visit was brief and I do not think I shall ever lay sight of him again but it was a lovely time, however short it was.

Agneta was greatly displeased with my dancing however and did complain to my father though I must thank her for this for Papá hired me a dance tutor. In the beginning I was vexed by this but after I met with the tutor I realized he was very kind and patient with my lack of skill and grace. We have even become friends and I sometimes speak to him of things I would no other for I feel I can trust him with such things. He is a curious man sometimes; small of stature with a sense of humor that is sometimes difficult for my woman’s mind to understand. He hails from France and Lord Guillaume has brought a number of dances with him that have not been seen in this city before. He has been teaching many of these to me with great patience. I look forward to my lessons with him for even though my feet do still trip over each other, he has confidence it will improve and encourages me in my efforts.

I have given great thought to your offer to travel to Venice, my dear friend and sister. I dream of someday seeing that beautiful city but my Papá needs my help so much with his work. Well it is that I also take my lessons from him for I can learn to paint such beautiful things from his great hands directly and understand better his needs as an artist and man of business. I know Agneta still searches for a marriage for me, after all I am still young enough to bear children and be a biddable wife, though glad I am that I do not believe Papá would insist I be wed to a man I find wretched.

It pleases me greatly to know you are well and enjoying your life in Venice. The stories you tell make it sound truly grand and I should like to visit sometime. Perhaps after Papá is more settled in the business of painting and I am not so needed.

I leave this letter now with prayers for your continued health and happiness and a hope that it will be no great time before I hear from you again, my dear cousin and friend.

Vinca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grazie per la vostra gentilezza nel commentare! :)