Thursday, March 17, 2011

Letter to Cousin Vinca from Francesca (I)

My Dearest Vinca,

I am greatly relieved to hear that you arrived safely and well in Sienna. I am too well aware of the perils you and yours could have faced upon the roads and give thanks to the heavens that all is as it
should be.

If your father, my uncle is as wise a man as my mother always assured us he is then he will know the best way to keep your lady mother Agneta from being too meddlesome. I suspect that her intent is to sow discord between you and Uncle and thereby take control of his matters -- and his coinage. It does not escape my memory that my dear aunt does like her silks and velvets and always felt she was in short supply of them. I say that like a good and noble daughter you must hold fast to your father's interests and while remaining respectful to Agneta foil her attempts to interfere. 
My darling cousin, while I know that you live to attend your father's needs I must once more remind you of my offer of lodging. The city of Venice is as beautiful as a soul could want and the masques and revelries are not to be missed. My current patron, a man of no little means (though he be of french blood) has taken it upon himself to purchase for me a fine home within the Sestieri of San Marco wherein I may entertain as I will. It is a fine place with many luxuries and is only a very short way from the palace of the Doge himself! I do not doubt you could indeed, if you were so inclined, find a man of worth here who would ease the grief you feel over sweet Simon's passing. Venice is awash with handsome and intelligent men and no few women who hold entertaining discourse. There are great works of art to be seen, and surely Uncle would not begrudge you the opportunity to see
them. Please, I beg you to consider my offer at least once more as I find myself missing a familiar face and smile.

The hour here grows late and I must attend a dinner with my Patron and his selected guests.

Peace be with you and may you reply swiftly!

Francesca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grazie per la vostra gentilezza nel commentare! :)